Monday, September 14, 2009

Open eves on the front porch

The east and west sides of the house are nearly completed. Before returning the scaffolding, we used it to drop the front gutter and tear off the aluminum facia and soffits on the front porch. Then we put the gutter back up. The roof deck underneath is in great condition. It was most likely replaced at some point. The rafter tails will clean up nicely too.

A few very cool things happened when we tore off the ugly soffits. We gained 8 inches of headroom on the front step. The tops of the porch windows are now visible from the road. And we straightened out the poorly hung gutter. The front roofline now looks nice and straight.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

East side connection

The original siding on the upper half finally connects with the new siding below. It all came together seamlessly. I've started topcoating my way down the wall. We'll use a couple towers of the scaffolding this weekend to strip and repaint the remaining roof brackets on this side. We'll also finally pull the soffits off the front of the house.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day weekend

The west side is just a couple days from being finished! Eves are done, siding is complete...just a few small areas to top coat, and a couple windows and roof brackets to strip and repaint.

When you stand at the door, this side has a huge look to it. Mainly because of all the narrow courses of siding, plus the added height from the open eves. That's alot of wood! And every board was hand painted with a 3 inch brush.

Friday, September 4, 2009

The peak

The upper part of the west side is coming along nicely. The peak is totally finished, and we are working our way down the wall. The wainscoting and moldings on the eves are looking just great! Plus we decided to go with both colors on the vent. At this point, board replacements have been done, roof brackets have been stripped, everything is sanded and cleaned...ready for a weekend of primer and topcoat.