Sunday, June 28, 2009

Birthday present

My wonderful wife got me a miter saw for my birthday. Now I don't have to borrow the neighbor's saw to cut my new siding pieces. This is awesome!!!

I cleaned up this area quite a bit. All new siding, new foam insulation on the air conditioner pipe, and painted the PVC furnace pipes too.

Pulled off a bit more asphalt siding on the west side. Nothing to replace here. The condition of the wood is just remarkable.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Porch door threshold

With the new wood screen door in place, we needed a new threshold for the porch door. The old one was rotting from water damage. When I pulled the threshold up, the floor boards looked great underneath. I cleaned the area up and gave it a coat of primer. I bought a new oak threshold and primed the back of it. To get the right look and color, the stain was traditional pecan, followed by numerous coats of amber shellac, then a couple coats of wax free shellac. To weather proof it, a coat of spar varnish. The door will match the threshold once it's refinished.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Wood screen door

Stripped and repainted the whole porch door frame over the weekend. Then I finally got to hang our wood screen door. It was so nice to get rid of that heavy storm door. Winston likes the screen door too!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More on the west side

Although it rained most of the weekend, Monday I was able to top coat more on the west side. The siding looks really great in the sun. That's when you get the most shadow on the bottom of each board. The house is really getting some nice lines!